CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Scientist In The Making

In School, Science was not my favorite subject and overall I my average was probably a C+. So of course when it comes to teaching Science, I am a little skeptical. But because K12 has created such and awesome and easy-to-learn curriculum for students and learning coaches (the parent or whomever teaches the child at home), I am pretty confident. My children are learning at and above the Science level according the School District's and State's standards!

Today, my little student and I conquered another Science lesson. He walked away more knowlegeable about Insects and I walked away a satisfied teacher and mom! (Whoo Hoo!)

Here are pictures from the lesson on insects!

**Note: I did not use the feathers in this picture. I used construction paper instead to make the wings and the glue was not very helpful either so I just used tape. Materials include: Construction paper, half dozen egg carton, glue, shimmering sticks or pipe cleaners, scissors (please monitor kids using scissors)



 This lesson taught the boys that insects have three main body parts: Head, Thorax and Abdomen
Attached to the head are the antennae. Attached to the thorax are the legs and wings.
 His expression: Hmmm, it doesn't really look like an insect but I guess it will do.......This is one funny looking insect!
 You can also use markers and paint to make the insect model look more like an insect! We were near the end of the school day and when I see that the children are tired after completing their assignments, I know exactly when to call it quits!

No comments:

Post a Comment